8build recognises how important it is to be committed to reducing our carbon emissions and understanding the impact we have on the environment in everything we do.
This Carbon Reduction Plan sets out how we will improve the way in which we will use our resources to ensure the least harm to our environment.
Whether we are thinking of how to travel to work, what cup to drink from, where we hold a meeting or the vast range of choices we make in our daily life, having sustainability underpinning every choice we make and every action we take must be integral to delivering our vision, mission and strategic goals.
We have identified where we need to change our behaviour and prioritised the key areas we want to focus on over the next 12-months as detailed in our plan.
We also recognise that many of the measures we plan to take to cut our carbon footprint will also help us operate more efficiently, cut costs and go some way to protecting us from inevitable future increases to fuel and energy costs.
Commitment to Achieving Net Zero
8build is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2040.
We are committed to meeting our compliance, legal and regulatory obligations to protect the environment directly through our own initiatives and services and indirectly using our influence to affect the practices of others.
Baseline and Current Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions.
Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline Year: April 2020 – March 2021
Additional details relating to the baseline emissions calculations
The financial year, April 2020 to March 2021 was our first year for calculating our emissions for the Carbon Reduction Plan and is therefore used as our baseline. However, we recognise that our electricity usage for the reporting period was low due to the COVID-19 pandemic and employees working from home. Similarly, business travel was high due to the closure of public transport and an increased use of vehicles as part of our efforts to maintain social distancing and keep staff safe.
Although we had a good understanding of our office-based Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions in the baseline year, we were not in a strong position with respect to Scope 3 and only included mileage travelled by cars owned or controlled outside 8build. As can be seen below in our current emissions reporting, we have made efforts during reporting year, (April 2021 to March 2022), to improve our data collection methods and have a better understanding of our Scope 3 emissions and the impact of our on-site activities.
Greenhouse gas emissions were calculated using UK Government conversion factors for the appropriate reporting year and calculated according to the Environmental Reporting Guidelines.
Baseline Year Emissions
- Scope 1: 20.88 tCO2e
- Scope 2: 28.97 tCO2e
- Scope 3: 61.45 tCO2e (Our Scope 3 emissions only included mileage travelled by cars owned or controlled outside 8build.)
- Total: 111.30 tCO2e
Current Emissions Reporting
Reporting Year: April 2021 – March 2022
- Scope 1: 45.73 tCO2e
- Scope 2: 23.86 tCO2e
- Scope 3: 2,615.46 tCO2e
- Our scope 3 emissions breakdown is as follows:
- Upstream transportation and distribution: 0
- Waste generated in operations: 2,544.15
- Business travel: 55.22
- Employee commuting: 16.09
- Downstream transportation and distribution 0
- Employee commuting have been calculated on the basis of:
- 187 employees, including 5 part-time staff
- 14 travelling by car
- 128 members of staff travelling 5 days per week and 45 members of staff travelling 3 days per week
- Data from Moovit website-average London commute of 7.4 km per journey
- Upstream transportation and distribution is zero as wo do not purchase third-party transportation and distribution services.
- Downstream transportation and distribution includes the emissions from transportation and distribution of products sold between our operations and the end consumer. Working in the construction sector, this is not applicable as we do not transport or distribute products to our end-customer and is therefore zero.
- Our scope 3 emissions breakdown is as follows:
- Total Emissions: 2,685.05 tCO2e
Emissions Reduction Targets
In order to continue and progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 1,950 tCO2e by 2027. This is a reduction of 27%. Please note that due to the impact of the pandemic on our operating model and the reported emissions deviating from the requirements under this measure (i.e., very limited Scope 3 emissions reporting), our baseline year emissions are substantially lower than the current year. Therefore, the target emissions have been re-evaluated and adjusted to reflect the more detailed calculations, and ensure they are in-line with the requirements of PPN 06/21.
Progress against these targets can be seen in the graph below:
Carbon Reduction Projects
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the April 2020 – March 2021 baseline.
We have not yet been able to quantify the carbon emission reduction achieved by these schemes as our more accurate data reporting has increased our reported emissions. These measures will be in effect when performing the contract.
- Reviewed our data gathering processes to support our Net Zero ambitions and collected more accurate data
- Implemented ISO 50001:2018, with the aim of being certified by the end of 2022
- Launched a hybrid approach to working for employees, which supports homeworking and brings a reduction in the amount of carbon generated through employee commuting
- Carried out energy audits on-site to understand energy consumption
- Developed a new Environmental and Energy Policy which outlines our commitment to minimising the negative environmental impact of our activities
In the future we hope to implement further measures such as:
- Introducing sub-metering strategies across projects, to capture more granular data and target reduction initiatives at high usage activities
- Considering a new tree planting scheme in which we will contribute monthly to the planting of trees based on our size and number of employees
- Including environmental impact awareness in induction and development programmes
- Increasing focus on sustainability within our supply chains
- Ensuring the use of electricity from green energy providers where possible
- Ensuring all our energy is purchased from renewable energy suppliers
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
Signed on behalf of the supplier:
Lesley Hammond, Finance & HR Director